HOW TO MAKE BLENDED TRANSITIONAL DREADS
- Two or more colors of kanekalon jumbo braid
- A sturdy comb for backcombing
- A tea kettle or steamer for sealing
- Cut your hair into different lengths. The dread in the picture will fade from red to orange to yellow, so the red is cut the shortest, orange is in the middle, and yellow is the length I want the finished dread to be.
- Put the orange hair on top of the yellow, then put the red hair on top of the orange. Then begin blending — if you’re not familiar with how to blend synthetic hair, check out my tutorial on blending.
- Repeat the process until all of the colors are thoroughly blended together.
- Backcomb the dread.
- Twist your dread, then seal with boiling water or a steamer.
The finished product will look something like the first dread on the left in the last image. This method works best with colors are similar (all warm colors, all cool colors, different shades of brown, etc) because they’ll all be mixed together at the top.